Pages

Thursday, August 28, 2008

the wonders of bubble wrap

The other night, I was at our dining area working and stressing over a layout design (yes, I know, of all places) when I found a sheet of bubble wrap lying around. Naturally, I spent the next 10 minutes or so popping bubble wrap. I started with one bubble, and found it hard to stop. Funnn. Anyway, I'm pretty sure that I'm not the only person who gets a kick out of popping the bubbles. :)

Humorous Pictures

According to Wikipedia:
Bubble Wrap has developed a second use as a sort of stress relief: after opening the package in which the Bubble Wrap is used, popping the bubbles has been seen to have a cathartic effect on people. Whether for stress relief or simple idle occupation of one's fingers, or for the amusement of children, the action of the popping, as well as the tactile response and associated noise made, is a widely known and widely used distraction and source of amusement, to the point that a virtual version of bubble wrap for popping has been created.

I don't know if there's an explanation for it, but after popping the entire sheet, I got back to work and was eventually done after an hour. Maybe my brain just needed to relax for a bit. I sure needed the distraction.

I'd like to get myself a roll of bubble wrap, but I guess the virtual version will do for now. :)

PS: There's also a bubble wrap simulator, which is more environment-friendly and even comes in pink. Might not be as much fun as the real thing, though.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

is the cat popping it or sleeping on it

Gel said...

I think he's chewing on it, haha.